This magical line of guitars came about almost by accident. As we were detailing the specs of a guitar we were making for a wonderful player called Jack Pearson. It was thought that Adirondack spruce paired with Honduran mahogany would be the best combination needed for the artist’s tonal requests.
Mr. Yairi amassed an incredible amount of tonewood throughout his life and although most is in or around the factory, some was stored on a piece of land he owned some miles away. We would go and see the wood on every trip, it became a ritual after lunch but because most of it had darkened due to the elements we were never sure what all of it was. Looking back now I sometimes think he may have been thinking, ‘One day they will realize what is in here.’
Well that day came, and what we found in terms of tonewood, was pure gold. Perfectly conditioned billets of Honduran mahogany that had been naturally seasoning for 45 to 50 years…unbelievable.
Had we not discussed Honduran for Jack’s guitar and started the conversation at the factory that lead us to believing there was Honduran on the land, we may have never known it was there. This series celebrates this amazing wood, arguably the best tonewood of all, and it also celebrates Mr. Yairi’s lifelong (and beyond) commitment to his art.
Honduran Series are probably the best guitars we’ve ever made. The Mahogany has been paired with AAAA Adirondack spruce and one OM model is available in all solid Honduran. Sonically they’re incredibly full and powerful with huge clear bass and mids. They’re almost intuitive in the way they respond and draw the player in and then take you away. You will lose hours in your day playing one of these amazing instruments.
- Series: Alvarez-Yairi Honduran
- Top Wood: Solid Honduran Mahogany - Seasoned for Min' 40 Years
- Back & Sides Wood: Solid Honduran Mahogany - Seasoned for minimum 45 Years
- Shape: Folk/OM
- Neck: One piece mahogany, 50/50 Semi gloss finish
- Bracing System: Handcarved FST2 - Forward Shifted, Scalloped X
- Bridge: Ebony Direct Coupled
- Inlays: Ebony/12th Fret Inlay
- Headstock Plate: Ebony
- Nut & Saddle: Real Bone
- Tuner: Gotoh 510's Gold with Ebony Buttons
- Binding: Ivoroid
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Strings: D'Addario EXP16
- Accessory: Alvarez Hardshell Wood Case
- Electronics L.R. Baggs Element VTC
- Overall Length (mm)1017
- Body Width (mm)386
- Body Depth at Heel (mm)85
- Body Depth at Base (mm)107
- Scale (mm)635
- Scale (inches)25'
- Number of frets20
- Nut Width (mm)44
- Nut Width (inches)1 23/32"